There are several service codes that provide three-digit dialing access, either nationally, within the province of Ontario, or within the Regional Municipality of Ontario. Customers may dial 311 requesting either information or a service that is available through another three-digit service code (N11 number).
- What is the difference between 311 and 911? 911 is the number you should call in case of emergency (when there is an immediate threat to life or property, or a crime in progress). For non-emergency police matters call 1-888-579-1520. 311 is the non-emergency number for access to Regional services and general Regional program information. Visit Durham Regional Police Service’s 9-1-1 Communications page to learn more.
- What is the difference between 311 and 211? 211 is a helpline and online database that connects you to the complete range of government, health, community and social services. 311 is the non-emergency number for access to Regional services and general Regional program information.
- What is the difference between 311 and 411? 311 is the non-emergency number for access to Regional services and general Regional program information. 411 is the number for local directory assistance (help with finding a business or residential telephone number listing).
|211||Community Services||211 Central provides callers in Toronto, Durham, Peel, and York Regions with information and referral services to community and social services 24/7: and to the rest of Ontario on weeknights and weekends.|
|311||Non-Emergency municipal services|
|411||Local directory assistance|
|511||Weather and Traveller Information Services||Ontario 511 offers bilingual Traveller information services and is provided by the Ministry of Transportation.|
|611||Telephone Repair Service||611 is for local telephone company repair, and is used to report problems with telephone service or with a payphone.|
|711||Message Relay Service||Message Relay Service enables callers with speech or hearing disabilities to make and receive phone calls with the assistance of an operator. TTY Relay Service is available to all home phone subscribers in Canada.|
|811||Non-urgent Health Care Telephone Triage Service|
Health Connect Ontario allows callers to connect with a registered nurse 24/7 to find health care services, obtain health advice, get help in navigating health services, and get the information they need. Health Connect Ontario replaces the former Telehealth Ontario. It does not replace the caller's Health care Provider. For medical emergencies, continue to call 911.
|911||Emergency||Police, Fire, Ambulance|
- 211 Central (web site): https://211central.ca/
- Canada 411 (web site): https://www.canada411.ca/
- Ontario 511 (web page): https://511on.ca/about/using511
- Message Relay Services (web page): https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/acces/mrsrt.htm
- Health Connects Ontario (web page): https://healthconnectontario.health.gov.on.ca/static/guest/home
- N11 Codes Description (web page): https://cnac.ca/other_codes/n11/n11_codes.htm